What is a Zero clearance or Factory built Fireplace?
A “Zero Clearance” fireplace is a self-contained steel box that allows you to forgo the building of a masonry fireplace and instead simply requires a wooden chase to be built around it. These are great options for new construction homes, or remodels without the large cost of a full masonry chimney. Zero clearance fireplaces are exhausted by a metal vent that runs through the chase.
What what are the benefits of a factory-built fireplace?
- Factory-built fireplaces are surprisingly inexpensive.
- They use a safe, lightweight chimney and do not need any additional footing or other structural support.
- Because they have fewer limitations than site-built masonry fireplaces, they can be easily and safely installed in almost any room.
- Factory-built fireplaces are available in a range of sizes, and can be open on one, two (“see-through” and corner models), three (“peninsula”), or four sides (“oasis”).
- Brick, stone, marble and other facing materials can be combined with your choice of mantels to suit your decor.